The Ashanti Regional Police Command wishes to alert the public, especially persons who drive SUVs and Pickup vehicles of the reemerging of car snatching syndicates within the Kumasi Metropolis.
These syndicates, the Police say usually attack their unsuspecting victims at the entrance of their homes at gunpoint and snatch the vehicle from them.
According to a statement issued and signed by the Assistant Superintendent of Police (ASP), Godwin Ahianyo, Public Affairs Officer, the Command in the recent past has arrested a number of these syndicates, some of which have been convicted and others on remand bringing the menace to its barest minimum.
He said the Command, however, in the past few days, recorded cases of car snatching, hence alerting the public to be on the lookout for these persons.
The public is therefore advised to take the following personal security tips seriously in order to nip the menace in the bud:
- Never stop at the entrance of your gate and leave the ignition key on, whilst you open the gate to enter your home.
- Install lights to illuminate the entire driveway and the house’s compound.
- Clear bushes periodically to deter miscreants from hiding around to attack you.
- Call home when approaching for someone in the house to look out for suspicious characters around before you get home.
- Ensure you have good exterior lighting, particularly around the front and the back door, to identify persons and any dark areas where an intruder could take cover to attack.
- You should be able to control external lighting from inside the house.
- Be alert to anything unusual, such as strangers waiting outside your house or cars following you.
- If you notice anything suspicious report it to the police or relevant authorities.
- Always vary the routes you use to your house so that these miscreants cannot predict you.